Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mr. Gasparo's English 111 Class

Jeff Shandelson
English 111-53
Blog
Mr. G’s Class
Mr. Paul Gasparo’s class is by far the most argumentative class I have ever taken in college. Since my other classes are medical related I never get the time to speak my opinion as a participation grade. Even though the class seemed a little disorganized and most of the deadlines were changed do to lack of class time, I enjoyed using that time to discuss our topics for the day. Because Mr. Gasparo is a reasonably new teacher, he brought a fresh prospective on a lot of up to date topics in the world today to class. It was interesting to listen to other people’s point of view in the classroom. I probably would not have had a chance hear them if not for meeting them at school. In his class I realized that listening to all sides of an argument can inform you, whether you agree with it or not. In addition, Mr. Gasparo’s class helped me prepare for the fast pace of college classes.
When I first stepped in to Mr. Gasparo’s class I could obviously tell that there were students from all walks of life. I had no idea that I would be listening to their opinions for the next eight weeks. The first class was watching the documentary Super Size Me, a movie of someone studying the health hazards of fast food by eating it for thirty days. Everyone’s impression on the movie was extremely diverse from each other. Some couldn’t believe what they were watching and vowed to never eat fast food again. Others thought the movie was bias with a hidden agenda and will still enjoy going to their local McDonald’s. Each student having a different attitude on the subject made the class very enjoyable, and the fact that Mr. Gasparo gave us this time to express our opinions made it less boring as most English classes.
Almost every class involved a discussion on a modern topic where our participation grade was determined by engaging yourself in the subject. This was a simple task. There was no way to give a wrong answer; all that was needed was an opinion and an open mind. Since this took up most of the two hour class, time flew by quick because there was never a boring moment.
Mr. Gasparo’s class also gave me the experience necessary to complete assignments with a limited amount of time. This class was an eight week course with sixteen weeks worth of work in it. His class required me to make good use of my time in order to finish my assignments and study for my other courses without feeling overwhelmed. I realized that if I completed my heavy work load before having fun. I would be more relaxed if I knew my work was completed during spare time. After taken his course I have become more prepared in multi tasking for my future college education.
Since I have taken Mr. Gasparo’s class I have become more interested in subjects involving every day life. Also, attending his class has made me more confident in finishing multiple tasks without losing my cool. I plan on using these new skills I have acquired in his English course to create informal grammatically correct essays for future courses.




Jeff Shandelson

English 111-53

Rough Draft Diagnostic Essay

Diagnostic Essay
I have had many different kinds of jobs; some I have enjoyed but most have not been very fun or interesting .The worst job I ever had was working at the Sheraton hotel restaurant busing tables. Before getting hired at the Sheraton, I had previously worked at another restaurant busing tables, but my past experiences didn’t prepare me for this job. On the first day of the job the restaurant manager informed me that they had lost two busers in the last week and I would have to work by myself until new employees were hired. Not only did this double my work load, but I also wondered what caused the last two busers to quit at the same time without giving notice. In addition to an incredible amount of tables to bus, the tables required a cloth covering to be replaced after every meal. The process of getting the covers and folding the napkins correctly took longer the cleaning the table and setting up silverware. Moreover, my job also involved running room service to the hotel rooms while simultaneously busing the tables. When coming back from a room service delivery, I would be overwhelmed with the amount of tables to clean. After six weeks of being understaffed, management still had not hired anyone new. Finally, I had reached my limit of being overworked and gave the manager my resignation. The Sheraton was a horrible work experience, and the last busing job I’ll ever have.

Jeff Shandelson
English 111-53
Final Draft Diagnostic Essay
Diagnostic EssayI have had many different kinds of jobs; some I have enjoyed but most have not been very fun or interesting .The worst job I ever had was working at the Sheraton hotel restaurant busing tables. The Sheraton at first glance seemed like a great place to work; but because the restaurant was so understaffed I usually had to work alone. Before getting hired at the Sheraton, I had previously worked at another restaurant busing tables, but my past experiences didn’t prepare me for this job. When I first arrived at the restaurant I how incredibly busy everyone was working because no had time to introduce themselves they just kept working. On the first day of the job the restaurant manager informed me that they had lost two busers in the last week and I would have to work by myself until new employees were hired. Not only did this double my work load, but I also wondered what caused the last two busers to quit at the same time without giving notice. In addition to an incredible amount of tables to bus, the tables required a cloth covering to be replaced after every meal. The process of getting the covers and folding the napkins correctly took longer the cleaning the table and setting up silverware. Moreover, my job also involved running room service to the hotel rooms while simultaneously busing the tables. When coming back from a room service delivery, I would be overwhelmed with the amount of tables to clean. After six weeks of being understaffed, management still had not hired anyone new. Finally, I had reached my limit of being overworked and gave the manager my resignation. The Sheraton was a horrible work experience, and the last busing job I’ll ever have.

2 comments:

  1. I would hope you'd give informed opinions based not only upon experience (unless there was a lot of it), but also upon factual information that can be found in multiple, credible places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realize your "revised" essay is half as long as it should be and not much revised as needed (see prompt for revised diagnostic essay).

    ReplyDelete